Henry Cliffe was born in Scarborough, Yorkshire. He studied painting + lithography at Bath Academy of Art, Corsham where he now teaches. His lithographs have been included in the International Biennial of Contemporary Colour Lithography in Cincinnatti and the British Pavilion at the Venice Biennale 1954+ 1960. Since 1952 he has been represented in international print exhibitions held in France, Germany, Switzerland, Jugoslavia, Japan and the United States. He has had one man exhibitions of paintings at the Redfern Gallery, London 1956+ 1961;Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol 1962+1964; one man exhibition of prints and drawings St. George's Gallery, London 1959; one man exhibition of gouaches + prints Centaur Gallery, Bath 1967; Auburn University, Alabama, USA 1967. Henry Cliffe was awarded first purchase prize by the Philadelphia Print Club in 1960 and a Ford Foundation Fellowship, Pratt Institute of Graphic Art, New York 1961 (Founder Fellow). His work is represented in many public collections including Victoria + Albert Museum, London; Cincinnatti Art Museum; Museum of Modern Art, New York; Bristol City Art Gallery; University of Bristol.